I’m Shelley Peterson – an experienced Bristol-based counsellor, in private practice since 2013, who’s passionate about using my senior accredited counselling skills to help tackle the “stuff” that prevents us from living life to the full.
Informed by my Christian faith, I see every person as uniquely complex and wonderful. I am equally comfortable working with clients of any faith, and those with none. I offer Person-Centred counselling that values the unique therapist-client relationship, and draws from a range of different tools and approaches that are tailored to suit you and your circumstances.
- Post Graduate Advanced Diploma in Relational Supervision (2017) National Counselling Society (Level 7)
- Accredited Counsellor with BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling – The Counselling Tutor (80 hours)
- Advanced Diploma in Pastoral Counselling Skills (2011) – University of Gloucestershire
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education
- BA (Hons) Degree in History and Religious Studies
Counselling, Supervision and Relevant Experience
- Network Counselling and Training (Network.org.uk), Bristol. Experienced volunteer counsellor. Currently supervising both Network student and qualified counsellors.
- Network Counselling and Training: Counselling Training Leader – Introductory Listening and Foundation Counselling Skills courses – ‘Being There’ and ‘A Way of Being’
- Working with Church Leaders and family members through referrals from The Churches Ministerial Counselling Service (CMCS) and Bristol Diocese
- Care First: Employee Assistance Provider (EAP) telephone and face-to-face referral work since 2017
- Supervision of self-employed counsellors.
- Supervision of counsellors and other professionals in a range of organisational settings e.g. hospice and social work
- Supervision of Employee Assistance Provider telephone and online counsellors
- Youthwork Team Leader with a Christian Youth Organisation for 7 years
- Secondary School Humanities Teacher for 4 years
- Pastoral Care Worker for 3 years
- Various Voluntary Sector Administration roles for 8 years
The bigger picture
Originally from Lancashire, I have been living in Bristol on and off since 1994, and love it here. I have two adult sons and personal experience of the impact of Asperger’s syndrome on family life.
My broad life experience has included time spent working with disadvantaged people in Singapore, Uganda, South Africa and in the UK.
I work hard at keeping fit and particularly enjoy running, having successfully completed the London Marathon in addition to eight half-marathons. I’m an avid reader and enjoy getting to know people.
If you’d like to meet me before going further with the counselling, why not get in touch to arrange a no-strings attached Introductory Session